Procedures have changed

Sept 17, 2018
RE:  Heat and Utility Assistance for 2018-2019
Dear Heat Assistance Recipient:
I am writing to inform you that there is a major change in the way you will need to apply for heat assistance payments in the coming winter months.  In the past you were able to walk into the Community Action Agency office and receive help with your heat bills.  This year, you will need to begin your application process at the Michigan Department of Health and Human Service Office (DHHS) in your county or online (CLICK HERE). The DHHS office is now completing the eligibility process for heat assistance.  They will also issue the first heat voucher through their emergency program. Once you apply, please plan on a 10 day wait period before you are given an answer. The Community Action Agency will no longer be determining your eligibility or issuing the first heat assistance voucher. 
Community Action Agency will be assisting a few clients who require a second assistance voucher.  If you are having difficulty getting through the DHHS system and would like to speak to someone at Community Action feel free to call your local CAA office. For Delta and Schoolcraft Counties-call 906-786-7080 ext. 151.  For Menominee County-Call 906-863-3042 and ask for Lori. We will do our best to help you work through the new system at DHHS. 
We know this is a big change in how people will be assisted with their heat and utilities bills.  It is not by choice that we are making this change.  Community Action is being directed by the State of Michigan on the new process.  We will do our best to be there for our clients as we have been in the past.

Naomi Fletcher, Program Director (contact Naomi)